Medical problems for Leaders – foretelling the next crisis
A friend of mine is a doctor near where I live in the Square Mile in the City of London. He is seeing disturbing signs with his clients who are leaders from the top global companies based in that powerhouse of a business district. Without breaking medical confidences, there are some clear patterns:
1. The level of medical dysfunction is a replica of 2007-2008 as the global financial crisis was emerging.
2. Huge stress caused by impending redundancies. These leaders have to tell hundreds of people they are loosing their jobs.
3. Very heavy drinking – to obliteration every night to hide the fear and pain. Certainly over 25 units a week is risky.
4. Drug abuse amongst the most high paid and high pressured. The US owned companies have clauses that allow HR to march executives suspected of drug abuse into his surgery, have them tested and fired if they have taken drugs. UK owned companies don’t do that.
5. Tragic symptoms of leaders staring into the abyss of a second dip in global financial crisis. Family melt down, obesity, stress, outbursts and bullying.
What can we do as leaders you ask?
Manage your diet, fitness and health. Control what you can and be prepared to weather the incoming global storm.