Will More Rule & Regulations Offset an Absence of Trust?
When trust has gone, all hell breaks loose. I have walked into Executive Boardrooms where the CEO has inherited or created a “trust free zone”. They are very toxic places. Talented leaders choose not to stay there long. Would you?
You may wonder: “What are these teams like?”
Here are some of my observations:
1. The barbarians are at the gates and all sorts of unhealthy behaviours are overlooked.
2. It’s a game of “where egos dare”
3. There are meetings before and after the main meeting, because no one trusts that decisions will get made or supported in practice.
4. There are constant feuds between the various Robber Barons and their fiefdoms.
5. There is little integrity or moral courage
So in such environments some leaders mistakenly add more rules regulations and processes.
Countries even do the same (look at the FSA) but that doesn’t mitigate for the lack of trust.
That takes inspiring leadership and moral integrity.
Warm regards Jonathan